Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Who cares?

Someone sent me a text asking if I feel better. I immediately thought, "Oh no... what do they need me to do?" I stopped myself, I hate it when my first response to something is negative... but it often is. I felt bad for having such a pessimistic response to someone who may just want to know how I'm feeling.

I text back that I feel better and thanks for asking. They then reply that they are glad and sorry I had been sick. I put the phone down and smiled, happy to know I was wrong. Sometimes people just care.

5 seconds latter a text comes from the same person. "Call me so we can talk". Ah ha. I call... they do need something.

This person has every right to ask me to do the job I was given, but I resent that they seemingly masked it in to caring if I was still sick. Again the nice side of me thinks, "They at least wanted to see that I was better before putting me to work"

...the other side of me? Well it thinks, "Yeah, people only care depending on what you can do for them."

Does this make me a pessimistic person? Or realistic? I try so had to assume good intent in people, but what if their intend isnt good! Someone sent me a text asking if I feel better. I immediately thought, "Oh no... what do they need me to do?" I stopped myself, I hate it when my first response to something to negative... but it often is. I felt bad for having such a pessimistic response to someone who may just want to know how I'm feeling.

I text back that I feel better and thanks for asking, then they reply that they are glad and sorry I had been sick. I put the phone down and smiled happy to know I was wrong. Sometimes people just care.

5 seconds latter a text comes from the same person. "Call me so we can talk". Ah ha. I call... they do need something. This person has every right to ask me to do the job I was given, but I resent that they seemingly masked it in seeming to care if I was still sick.

The nice side of me thinks, "They at least wanted to see that I was better before putting me to work"

...The other side of me? Well it thinks, "Yeah, people only care depending on what you can do for them."

I try so hard to assume good intent in people, but what if their intent isn't good? Does this make me a pessimistic person? Or realistic? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment