Friday, August 27, 2010

Words Hurt



Sometimes it is like you can see the words coming out of your mouth and you know you should stop them, but by time you have that thought, they've already reached the ears of someone else.

I wish I could just reach out, grab them and yank them back explaining, "Oops! My words got away from me!" and the other person would be like, "Oh yeah, that happens to me to." Then I'd put my words through a shredder and with a satisfying "zzzzzzzd" I'd be done with it.

Instead, we have to live with the consequences of our words. Not only can they hurt others our words can hurt ourselves. Saying something negative about someone else can back fire and make you look bad. The old idiom, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is basically a load of hogwash.

The Bible has a lot to say about our words and how we use them. "Death and life are in the power of the tongue", "The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin", "The tongue is a fire", "No one can tame the tongue" and one of my favorites, "Even a fool is counted wise when he doesn't open his mouth."

I still remember hurtful words that were said to me when I was young. Things that have stuck with me for years, words I've had to fight not to believe because they affect how I view myself. I also remember hurtful words I've said to others. In some cases I was able to apologize in other cases those people are gone from my life and I can't say that I'm sorry. I all cases the words were still spoken, still heard and can never be taken back.

We use words so carelessly; calling other drivers on the road names, talking bad about people we know and people we don't, talking over people instead of listening to them! Hitting people where we know it will hurt the most and then saying "I was joking". We use words like they are paper plates and styrofoam cups, using them and throwing them away. We should be using our words like fine china, something to handle with care and use sparingly.

Not only can our words powerfully damage people they can also powerfully uplift people. I regret things I’ve said, but I also regret things I didn’t say. People I didn’t thank or encourage. Our word can be sweet and life giving. “The tongue of the righteous is choice silver.” Also there is one main thing I think we were given words for. Worship. Instead of throwing my words around or using them inappropriately I hope that I can say, “my tongue shall tell of Your righteousness and of your praise all the day long.”

Our words are a curse or a gift. What are you going to do with yours?


“With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.”
James 3:9-12




Verses in this blog:
Proverbs 18:21
Proverbs 13:13
James 3:6
James 3:8
Proverbs 17:28
Proverbs 26:18-19
Proverbs 10:19
Proverbs 10:20
Psalms 35:28

No comments:

Post a Comment